Friday, October 21, 2011

One week down

I have complete one whole week!! AHHHH it feels so great!

Monday morning I had to report to "New Employee Orientation" at 7:30AM (even though I'm not actually an employee) and got to meet my co-intern Julie. She's so sweet and I think we're going to do really well working together! We got a whole lot of general info on the hospitals and clinics, and had our Mantoux tests done. Tuesday we did basically the same thing, except with more time sitting in the hall when the real employees learned about benefits and 401Ks.

Wednesday was our very first day actually with the MTs! In the morning we went to hospice rounds, then I observed a few home hospice visits with Gretchen. I got to meet TWO ladies who were over 100 and still kickin! One even held my hand for awhile! I felt really good about how quickly I could get back into "MT mode". Julie and I met up for lunch with our wonderful senior interns, Erin and Jen. We spent the afternoon with Dawn talking schedules and responsibilities. I left that day feeling approximately 100x better than I had felt Tuesday. I've been thinking and preparing and imagining for so long.... and now I know. It's a huge relief.

Yesterday Julie and I spent the whole day at Struthers Parkinsons Center with Sandi. The highlight of the day was a really lovely emotional moment between two clients during a group session. I am really going to have to start controlling my emotions more effectively! Almost cried a few times haha! The other highlight was just playing through songs with Julie during some down time. We both had guitars and a bunch of clients sitting around- we just played and harmonized with each other.

Today none of the MTs were around so Julie and I had a breakfast/coffee date with Erin and Jen, then worked on orientation packets and reading all day. I'm really really happy about the people I'll be working with. Sandi, Dawn, and Gretchen are all so supportive and easy to talk to. And from our intern date this morning I think we're all going to be really close!

Just SO HAPPY to have finally started and know what I got myself into!

No comments:

Post a Comment